Sunday, June 22, 2014

Front Door Makeover (project 63)

On Memorial Day my husband took my oldest 4 kids camping. I stayed home with the baby. Because a 13 month old is a nightmare on a camping trip!
So, I took advantage of it, and got a lot done here!
I finally pained my front door.
I've had the paint since last summer...
when I went to visit my brother and he and his wife had painted all the doors to their house and shed this awesome color of blue! they gave me the rest of their paint!
So, I've been planning on it for awhile, and finally had a day without kids running in and out the door so I could do it!
Here's the before:

It seems like taping and prepping take the most time.

I put this primer that is for dark paint on. Something was seriously wrong with it. It was way too runny and thin and caused more problems than anything.
But, I love how it turned out. I just can't seem to get a good picture of it because we have way. too. much. sunshine here.
 Well, my husband didn't like it. But I do. I think it needs some more bright colors out there with it. Maybe some bright colored pots with bright flowers.
Maybe it will grow on him. After all, it does make our house quite different from all the other beige blahs in our neighborhood, and he is always complaining about having a house the same as everyone else's.

Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Love Sac Cover (project 62)

While in Utah for a family wedding, I got to hang out with my sister-n-law and my sister. SIL wanted to make a cover for her Love Sac (which is a giant bean bag. Except that it's not filled with beans. It's filled with shredded foam... very comfy) You can see the Love Sac in the background. It had morphed into a shapeless blob. She wanted to make a cover for it that would give it more structure and shape.
 Buying a Love Sac cover costs about $300. She had seen an idea on a blog where you could sew a big tube and then circles on the end- like a giant bolster pillow- for a lot, lot less. So she bought $50 worth of fabric instead, and we got to work figuring it out.
 Once we figured out the circumference of the sack (after measuring it and taking off about 12-15" that we wanted to "squish" it) we dusted off our old Algebra skills to figure out the diameter the circles needed to be. (you can see her cutting out the circles in the pictures above.) And by dusted off, I mean, we googled the answer...
 She sewed the tube, and we tried it on for size.
 Which was a difficult and somehow hilarious process...
which is why we are laughing our guts out!
 Then we unpicked it so we could sew velcro along the whole opening, because we (wisely) decided that would be the easier way to get it on and off. (Because it is highly likely that it will need to be washed at some future date. And/or she will want to sew a different one to change up her decor with the changing seasons... at least, that's what my sister- the photographer not pictured thinks)
Oh, we were so wise. Stuffing it in was a 4 person job. Which meant no one could take pictures of it!
Oh, and we also sewed the circles on the ends. Which had to be eased in, which just goes to show that algebra is not a perfect science.
 But we got it on- and BAM! shape, structure, less blob-like, and stylish fabric focal point of the TV room.
So of course we high-fived each other for a job well done!
 And then we tested it!

 And then we let my brother and 2 of my daughters test it out!
 And in the midst of it all, my nephew never missed a beat on the video game he was playing!
AND, just in case she does decide to make another one, since this turned out so fun and awesome- here are the dimensions- so we don't have to repress our creativity with any more math and algebra!:
Radius: 21"
Diameter: 42"
Circumference: 132" (but do a little more so plenty of overlap for velcro and hem)
Width: 59"
But, before you forget, put in the comments how many yards of fabric you bought- because it was the perfect amount.

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Blueberry Bread

I've decided to start posting my recipes. This is mostly for my own benefit, so that I always have access to them even when I am traveling. Plus, I have found that pieces of paper get lost. I recently searched everywhere for an old recipe for syrup that I can't find. It makes me so sad.


(This recipe came from an old ward cookbook, printed in January 1994. It was contributed by Judy Cash. I've doubled it here, so if you only want 1 loaf, or only have 1 cup blueberries, just halve the recipe)

1 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 c. milk
4 Tbls. melted butter
3 cups flour
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp baking powder
2 c. fresh blueberries

Cream sugar and eggs. Stir in milk and melted butter. Sift dry ingredients together and add to creamed mixture. Fold in blueberries and turn into (2) well greased bread pans. Bake 50 minutes at 350.

(In case you are wondering if I contributed any recipes, here is mine from page 4:
Lettuce Alone

...I know, I was such a funny 18 year old!)