Thursday, March 9, 2017

An apron for a wanna-be cowgirl

First of all, I need to tell you about my new toy.
I love my new toy.
My new toy is a Bernina special edition 765 sewing machine. 
My old machine quit working. Again. 
So I finally decided it was time.
Time for a new one.
Brand, Spankin' new. 
It's my 3rd sewing machine, but my first new one.
I love my new sewing machine.
 My friend has the Bernina 770 quilter's edition. We have compared them, and they are exactly the same except for where mine says Special Edition hers says Quilters Edition. And mine is "rose gold" across the top part, and hers is silver.
I like the rose gold better, but don't tell her that. In fact, I'm naming her Rose in honor of her beautiful color. But you can also call her Rosie.
I have this theory that the Bernina company was trying to come up with a creative way to sell more of the 770's. So they changed the silver part to rose gold, called it a Special Edition, and sold it with a promotional deal.
The deal was this: it came free with either the "quilters bundle" (which then really made it identical to the 770) or an Embroidery unit. Well, about the only things I'm willing to dust off my shabby math skills for is sewing and quilting. So I did the math. Because I already had the walking and 1/4 inch feet, the only thing I needed to make it the quilters edition was the Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR) which was $899. The Embroidery unit was $2,000. I hope you know which one I chose to be included and which one I bought (with the 20% off deal you get on everything you buy the day you buy your machine)

So I am a happy new sewing machine owner. I hope that means I will be whipping out projects like nobody's business.... but if you've read my blog before, you'll know that's not likely.
I DID, however, finish this Texas Flag pillow sham to go with my sons quilt that I made him... 
  4 years ago...
 And I also made this apron for me:
 Out of some cute scraps a friend had left over from making her daughter a dress. It was too cute, I couldn't let her throw it away. I made it for myself. I pretty much live in aprons, so I am loving it.


No comments:

Post a Comment